Full Time Safety Representatives Course
All persons who have been appointed as full-time safety representatives as per the Mine Safety and Health Act, 1996.
Proposed Outcomes and Objectives
This course is designed to give the full-time safety representative an insight into his duties and responsibilities and a practical way of implementing safety in his area of responsibility.
The accent will be on the practical training of safety representatives and the development of a practical course leaders guide for such training. The Mine Health and Safety Act, 1996 calls for the appointment of full-time safety representatives.
The functions these persons are entitled to perform include:
- Co-ordinate the activities of the workplace (part-time) health & safety representatives in his area of jurisdiction.
- Chair the employee representatives on the health and safety committee
- Participate in training of the workplace health & safety representatives . In order for these persons to carry out these functions correctly & effectively, they need tobe properly trained in the techniques and principles of these functions.
The course content is as follows:
- Functions and activities of health and safety representatives regarding:
- Accident/incident investigations
- Emergency preparedness
- Health and Safety committees/meetings
- Coaching and training techniques
- Hazard recognition and awareness with regard to:
- Underground/surface fires
- Environmental control – flammable gases/dust
- Radiation exposures
- Basic principles of risk assessment
- Role of the health and safety representative in regard of safety management systems
Certification: a Chamber of Mines certificate will be issued
Only available on request from a company. A minimum of 10 candidates is required. This training is done on site and a formal quote will be provided on request.